It is this sense of mutual interaction ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In everyday life, we tend to see any collection of people as a group. However, social psychologists use this term more precisely. In particular, they define a group as two or more people who interact with, and exert mutual influences on, each other (Aronson, Wilson and Akert, 2002). It is this sense of mutual interaction or inter-dependence for a common purpose which distinguishes the members of a group from a mere aggregation of individuals.

Source: Sport and Exercise Psychology: A Critical Introduction — Aidan Moran

I'm still having trouble understading those parts.
1. Does "It" refer to the group or is a "dummy it"?
2. Does "sense" mean "meaning"?

I'd appreciate it if you would help me.

Last edited:
I'm still having trouble understanding those the parts in bold.

1. Does "It" refer to the group or is a dummy "it"?
2. Does "sense" mean "meaning"?

I'd appreciate it if you would help me. Unnecessary.
1. It's a dummy "it".
2. It's more like "idea".

It is this sense of mutual interaction or inter-dependence for a common purpose which distinguishes the members of a group from a mere aggregation of individuals.
. . .
1. Does "It" refer to the group or is a "dummy it"?
This is an "it"-cleft sentence, one in which the subject of the underlying sentence has been focused. I'm pruning off some prepositional phrases:

Underlying Sentence: This sense distinguishes the members from a mere aggregation.
"It"-Cleft Transformation (Subject Focused): It is this sense which distinguishes the members from a mere aggregation.

Another type of cleft sentence (the "pseudo-cleft" construction) yields this when the subject of the same underlying sentence is focused:

Pseudo-Cleft Transformation (Subject Focused): What distinguishes the members from a mere aggregation is this sense.

Both types of cleft sentence can be used to focus other elements in the underlying sentence besides the subject. These examples use the "It"-Cleft:

Direct Object Focused: It is the members that this sense distinguishes from a mere aggregation.
Prepositional Phrase Focused: It is from a mere aggregation that this sense distinguishes the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back