Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'It is inevitably to be tested in the examination'
Is that sentence correct? 'It is to be+ passive voice'?

Thanks!

'It is inevitably to be tested in the examination'
Is that sentence correct? 'It is to be+ passive voice'?

Thanks!
Yes, it's passive voice. 'Inevitably' is wrong there though.
'It is likely/sure to be tested in the examination' are correct sentences. Those are adjectives.
"Inevitably, it will be tested in the examination" is OK too.

Yes, it's passive voice. 'Inevitably' is wrong there though.
'It is likely/sure to be tested in the examination' are correct sentences. Those are adjectives.
"Inevitably, it will be tested in the examination" is OK too.

Hello, Raymott.:-D
May I ask a question here?

What about (the sentence without 'inevitably'):
"It (='What we've learned today', for example) is to be tested in the examination." - 'be to + infinitive' referring to a future event

Does it sound weird/odd to native ears?

(Edit) I've found some information on 'be to + infinitive': http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv103.shtml

Thank you.

Last edited:
It can only refer anahporically to some object that is obvious because it has recently been mentioned. The sentence isn't wrong, but does sound odd to me, because "it" seems isolated and unclear without more context (it may be fine in the right place) and "to be tested" is certainly a correct way to refer to a systematic and certain future, but most people who use AmE would just say:

This is going to be on the exam.
This is without doubt going to be on the exam.
This is going to be on the exam for sure.

Is 'inevitably' wrong there? Must it be 'It is likely/sure to be tested in the examination' ?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back