Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am trying to understand the past perfect continuous tense by using it in the same sentence with the past continuous tense.

When I woke up at 6 O'clock, my bed was wet. I guess it had been raining because at 5 O'clock, it was raining.

Do I need comma before 'it'?
Have I used 'had been raining' correctly?

Your continuous guidance and support mean a lot to me, and thank you for putting up with me..

Last edited:
If you had stopped creating your sentences right before 'because', then it's a good piece of text you've come up with, I must say:
When I woke up at 6 o'clock, my bed was wet. I guess it had been raining. (because at 5 O'clock, it was raining - this is the unnecessary part)

Another alternative could be this:
When I woke up at 6 o'clock, my bed was wet. I guess at 5 o'clock it was raining.

Guessing apart, you could say something like this:
When I woke up at 6 o'clock, my bed was wet. At 5 o'clock it was raining. I know that for sure.

Remember that we don't capitalise the "o" in "o'clock".

Yesterday morning I woke up and looked out of the window.
The sun was shining, but the ground was wet.
It had been raining.

If the sun was shining and the speaker does not expect it to rain again any time soon, why not simply say,' It had rained'.
Wet ground is the evidence of rain.
I want to know if such usage is ungrammatical,unnatural or illogical.

Thank you for your time and help. I am extremely grateful for your continuous consideration.

Both are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back