It depends how much longer it takes to go through from our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Q: How long before we receive the fax that you are sending?

A: It depends how much longer it takes to go through from our end.

Please check these.

They're OK. I'd say "at our end" but yours isn't wrong. The conversation could take place only after one party has started sending the fax and it hasn't finished coming through.

Or, "Depends on processing from time of entry."

I don't think I've heard any refer to the start of sending a fax as the "time of entry". Mind you, it's over ten years since I've had to send or receive a fax. I suppose terminology might have changed in those places where faxes are still used.

It seems that somebody has never received a fax before and wants to know how it works.

It's fine grammatically as an answer, but it is not likely to satisfy your customer.

Q: How long before we receive the fax that you are sending?
A: It depends how much longer it takes to go through from our end.

The question suggests that the fax is being sent at that moment. In that case the answer is Not long. If in fact the fax is not being sent at that moment then the question should be When will we get the fax?

Faxes normally don't take long to be sent and received, and that is what puzzles me. That is, I'm not sure why anybody would ask that question.
:-?

It could be the case in a place with unreliable phone lines. I have lived in a city with daily power outages.

In that case I wouldn't ask the question, because I would assume the other person wouldn't know the answer.

Tufguy, you need to help us out here. Has the person who answers the question already started sending the fax?

Tufguy, you need to help us out here. Has the person who answers the question already started sending the fax?

No, they sent a request for the fax to be sent.

In that case, you can't say "It depends how much longer ...". That suggests the fax is already on its way and the recipient wants to know how much more time will elapse before the fax finishes going through. Faxes are relatively instantaneous!

Q: When will we get the fax you're going to send?
A: I'll let you know when I've sent it.

It sounds like a delay from the sender, which the recipient will pick up on. I would not be happier about this answer than I would be waiting for an email- they can be sent now.

It seems like the person doesn't want to send the fax (for whatever reason).

The correct answer should be Immediately/Right away- this sounds like time-wasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back