...it consists of the reading of vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I was reading a text from IELTS when I came across this sentence,

A: "...it consists of the reading of vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music."

My question is if the following sentence would exactly mean the same.

B: "...it consists of reading vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music."

And what is the grammatical title for READING in sentence A? (an -ing form of the verb between the and of)

The original sentence contains a gerund. Think of reading as a noun, a 'thing'.

I don't like your revised version, where you're using reading as a verb, an 'action', because when we use consists of, we normally follow it with things, not actions.

The original sentence contains a gerund. Think of reading as a noun, a 'thing'.

I don't like your revised version, where you're using reading as a verb, an 'action', because when we use consists of, we normally follow it with things, not actions.
Thanks. Then, what if we change the original sentences (to avoid the mistake I made regarding the proper usage of "consists of", as below?

"Reading vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music can be a good option for teachers."

"The reading of vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music can be a good option for teachers."

And another question is, I believe I have seen many cases (sample answers, Task One Academic, from books on IELTS) when in the introductions there were sentences like, '...the whole process consists of cutting and chopping trees into smaller pieces and then transferring them to the factory.'

Or, at least this is a common sentence you come across when studying such samples. Is this simply a common mistake ignored or unnoticed by many?

"Reading vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music can be a good option for teachers."

That's good.

"The reading of vocabulary and text while the class is listening to music can be a good option for teachers."

That's not as good.

And another question is, I believe I have seen many cases (sample answers, Task One Academic, from books on IELTS) when in the introductions there were sentences like, '...the whole process consists of cutting and chopping trees into smaller pieces and then transferring them to the factory.'

Or, at least this is a common sentence you come across when studying such samples. Is this simply a common mistake ignored or unnoticed by many?

What do you think is the "mistake" here?

What do you think is the "mistake" here?
I was referring to the second post, as it made it clear the choice of '-ing' as an action had better not be (or should not be) used after 'consist of', and I was wondering if the samples I have happened to see before are not proper usage. Previously I believed ANY verb in its -ing format can be used after prepositions, regardless of the meaning or function of the verb (which I admit I still have trouble understanding!).

After all, there are feelings or rules associated with certain structures I cannot possibly sense or understand as a non-native speaker.

Please remember that the phrase is grammar term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back