It’s almost on the verge of being cruel and selfish.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my city and even in the whole country, it becomes more and more inappropriate for one to give advice to others. One reason is that nowadays people are more well-educated and are independent thinkers and they can decide for themselves. Suggestions are not needed. This would also make the listeners (of suggestions) look naive. I must have to admit that the culture might be different here. But I notice that young people nowadays don’t like any suggestions from others. In a word, don’t give suggestions to other. This wasn’t the same many years ago. In my parents’ generation, giving suggestions to others were always welcome. However, one might still give suggestions because people won’t tell you straightforward that you’re rude or they don’t like it, or show you the unhappiness on their faces, but to be on the safe side, don’t do it.

The other day I talked with a foreigner who came to my city as a student. He asked me if they were something he’d need to pay special attention to and I said “Don’t give suggestions to your Chinese friends, even strangers.” And he asked me why, I said jokingly:

It’s almost on the verge of being cruel and selfish. Mind your own business.

Is my sentence natural?

In my city and, in fact, even in the whole country, it becomes is becoming/has become more and more inappropriate for one to give advice to others.

One reason is that nowadays people are more well- better-educated, and are independent thinkers and they can decide make decisions for themselves.

Suggestions are/Advice is not needed.

This would also make the listeners (of suggestions) look naive.
I don't understand this part at all. Please re-word it completely.
I must have to admit that the culture might be different* here, but I've noticed that young people nowadays don’t like any suggestions from others. being given advice.
*Different from what/where?
In a word, don’t give suggestions to other. Consequently, I suggest that you not give other people [unrequested] advice.

This wasn’t the same many years ago. in my parents’ generation, when giving suggestions advice [to others] were was always welcome.

However, one might still give suggestions You could still choose to give advice - because people won’t tell you straightforward that you’re rude or they don’t like it, or show you the unhappiness on their faces and you won't see their true feelings in their face no comma here but, to be on the safe side, don’t do it.

The other day I talked with a foreigner who came to my city as a student foreign student here in [name of city].

He asked me if they were something there was anything he’d need to pay special attention to and I said “Don’t give suggestions advice to your Chinese friends, or even to strangers.”

And He asked me why, and I said jokingly:

It’s almost on the verge of being cruel and selfish. Mind your own business.
I can just about understand it being considered selfish, but I really don't think your piece has backed up a claim that people think it's cruel.

As you can see from many of my corrections, I think "advice" is much more appropriate here than "suggestions". Do you know the difference?

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and corrections, emsr2d2.

Here's the feedback:

I don't understand this part at all. Please re-word it completely.
This would also make the listeners (of suggestions) look naive.
Since people are better-educated and most of the time independent thinkers themselves, they don't like others to give them advice. When one gives them advice, they will think that this person who gives advice is a know-it-all and they don't know anythere, therefore, they look like an idiot.
*Different from what/where?
I believe that it's okay to give advice to others in some other countries. But in short, the utterances in this thread are my personal experience and judgment. They are not necessary true to other people. But my personal experience is based on what I've experienced and my friends have experienced. More often than not, my friends and I are given the cold shoulders when giving advice to others. So we now don't do so any longer.

I can just about understand it being considered selfish, but I really don't think your piece has backed up a claim that people think it's cruel.
I agree. I use "cruel" because I want it to sound funny. It's based on my experience, not everyone, but it's true for me, so I use something funny here.

As you can see from many of my corrections, I think "advice" is much more appropriate here than "suggestions". Do you know the difference?
Yes, advice is uncountable while suggestion is countable. :)

Is my sentence natural? Or can I say something else to my friends (now and in the future) who live and will live here?

It’s on the verge of being cruel and selfish. Mind your own business.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

That's true but it's not what I meant. There's a difference in meaning.
Sorry, I don't know, please enlighten me. Also, is my italic sentence in #3 good now?

A suggestion is merely someone coming up with something like a restaurant or a holiday destination. Advice is usually about something much more important.

Helen: Where shall we eat tonight?
Sarah: Oooh, I suggest that new tapas bar in town. It's great!

John: I feel like my marriage is breaking down. I don't know what to do.
Mark: Can I give you a bit of advice?
John: Sure.
Mark: Go to therapy, maybe couples' counselling. It really helped when my marriage was in trouble.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back