Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Whay do you call this position, or is it a squat?

-- your bottom resting on the ground, your calves against the thighs in front of your chest, and your arms around your legs or thighs--

I'd call it very uncomfortable! ;)

Is this the position you are describing? If so, it is called an "Asian squat".
Asian Squat.jpg

If this is the position you mean, I don't think there is a name for it.
Senior man sitting in 23993153

Sitting in a crouched position.

I'd call it a very deep squat. In the west, few people can achieve that position easily.

If your bottom's resting on the ground, I wouldn't call it a squat. You're sitting on the floor, with your knees drawn up to your chest and your arms around them.

Apologies. I misread the first post and thought the bottom was above the ground. If it's on the ground, you're sitting, not squatting.

Thank you very much for the painstaking and helpful explanations. I consulted you because I saw the definition of SQUAT (from the Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary and thesausus) for the transitive usage wehere "sit on the ground" is mentioned, not in line with the intransitive ones.

So does the transitive definition mean that if you make someone lose their balance and sit onto the ground in a squat position (disregarding that the bottom has gotten rested on the ground), that is, you've made them squat (onto the ground)?

WordReference English Collocation ©2023 has also given similar uses:

"was [kneeling, sitting] in a squat", "squatting on [her haunches, the floor]".

So is it that the squat position with bottom on ground/floor is correct and comprehensible to the native English speakers while rather uncommon?

"was [kneeling, sitting] in a squat", "squatting on [her haunches, the floor]".
In this position, the person's posterior doesn't rest on the floor. "On the floor" refers to where their feet are. They are squatting on the floor rather than on a bench or a bed. It doesn't mean they're sitting on the floor.
So is it that the squat position with bottom on ground/floor is correct
It's not a squat if your bottom is resting on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back