Is this correct? And regarding vs. concerning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

I just put together this sentence and I am not sure it is a 100% correct, so I would like you guys to take a look at it, it is kind of complicated:

"Yeah well do you have any idea what specifically, it is that I should ask to get changed then?"

Also I would like to ask if there is any difference between concerning and regarding, to me it seems as though they can be used interchangeably. Is that so?

Hi there

I just put together this sentence and I am not sure it is a 100% correct, so I would like you guys to take a look at it, it is kind of complicated:

"Yeah well do you have any idea what specifically, it is that I should ask to get changed then?" It's not a sentence I would write, but it's OK apart from the punctuation.

Also I would like to ask if there is any difference between concerning and regarding, to me it seems as though they can be used interchangeably. Is that so? No.
Bhai.

Hi there

"Yeah well do you have any idea what specifically, it is that I should ask to get changed then?" It's not a sentence I would write, but it's OK apart from the punctuation.

Also I would like to ask if there is any difference between concerning and regarding, to me it seems as though they can be used interchangeably. Is that so? No.

Hey thanks!

Yeah I am not that good with the punctuation, as of yet.

I am not quite sure what you are saying no to, is there any difference between those two words?

Hey thanks!

Yeah I am not that good with the punctuation, as of yet.

I am not quite sure what you are saying no to, is there any difference between those two words?
I mean that they can't always be used interchangeably.

He's saying, no, they are not interchangeable. It's concerning that so many students believe there are a significant number of words that are interchangeable. There are not. (However, it's not 'regarding' that they believe this.)

In other words, of course there's a difference. One is the present participle of 'concern' and the other of 'regard'. These are completely different words with fundamentally different meanings, connotations and usages.
And this will be the answer for almost questions about two different words without context being "interchangeable".

PS: Oops, I notice bhai has answered you. I'd suggest that if two words "can't also be used interchangeably", then they aren't interchangeable.

He's saying, no, they are not interchangeable. It's concerning that so many students believe there are a significant number of words that are interchangeable. There are not. (However, it's not 'regarding' that they believe this.)

In other words, of course there's a difference. One is the present participle of 'concern' and the other of 'regard'. These are completely different words with fundamentally different meanings, connotations and usages.
And this will be the answer for almost questions about two different words without context being "interchangeable".

PS: Oops, I notice bhai has answered you. I'd suggest that if two words "can't also be used interchangeably", then they aren't interchangeable.

Yeah but can you say like:

There are many complaints regarding the level of noise.

There are many complaints concerning the level of noise.

Where to me it pretty much looks like the same.

Yeah but can you say like:

There are many complaints regarding the level of noise.

There are many complaints concerning the level of noise.

Where to me it pretty much looks like the same.
Yes, those sentences mean pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back