Is this called both a pullout and a turnout in American English or is it called something else?

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
The are next to the road I have put a blue circle around. I know that this deceivingly resembles a bus bay but it's not. It's used by a car that needs to stop suddenly without holding up the traffic.

download (5).jpg

I'd call it a layby, although they're more normally found on motorways and major roads, rather than residential streets. I doubt the one in the photo is for a car to stop in an emergency. It could just be a single/double parking space.

Edit: I've just noticed that your title says you only want to know what it's called in AmE. That doesn't look like a photo of an American street to me. It might help if you can find a photo from the US.

This native speaker of AmE has never heard of either term, but if I had to pick one I'd go with turnout.

This native speaker of AmE has never heard of either term, pullout or turnout.
Really? I thought they were common. I suppose I was wrong.

When a vehicle enters a srream of moving traffic we say it pulls out. And when we move into the oncoming traffic lane in order to overtake we call that pulling out to pass. That's probably why we can't call a layby (BrE) a pullout.

So you use layby in Canada too?

No we don't. Canadian English is very nearly rhe same as AmE.

I'd call it a pullout.

No we don't. Canadian English is very nearly rhe same as AmE.
Ty but then what would you call that thing in the picture?

On some interstate highways, especially narrow ones without a shoulder, or in construction zones, there are areas provided for "emergency stopping only."

I'm sure that civil engineers have a name for them, but there is no common name in use.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back