Is this called a pavilion or a canopy in American English and Canadian English?

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
I'm sure one of our American or Canadian friends will be along soon but, just in case you didn't know, in British English, that's a gazebo.

I'm sure one of our American or Canadian friends will be along soon but, just in case you didn't know, in British English, that's a gazebo.
I knew it's called a gazebo in BrE. That's why I didn't ask. But thank you.

It's a gazebo to this AmE speaker. It's not merely a canopy because it has those mosquito curtains tied back at the corner posts.

It's a gazebo to this AmE speaker. It's not merely a canopy because it has those mosquito curtains tied back at the corner posts.
And pavilion would be plain incorrect?

Gazebo to me, too.

A canopy is like a tent, but only a roof. No sides. And fabric, not hard materials.

A pavilion is a permanent structure, usually found in parks. Cement floor, solid, usually wood, construction and roof. Open on sides. Often with electric service and maybe bathrooms built in.

People rent them to hold parties.

Gazebo to me, too.

A canopy is like a tent, but only a roof. No sides. And fabric, not hard materials.

A pavilion is a permanent structure, usually found in parks. Cement floor, solid, usually wood, construction and roof. Open on sides. Often with electric service and maybe bathrooms built in.

People rent them to hold parties.
Thank you

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back