Is there difference between "HAVE" and "GOT" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is a subtle doubt in my mind regarding this question... like we say 1) I have a cold Is it correct form of tense ? or should we say " I got a cold". same way 1) I have hiccups or I got hiccups ? Please clarify if you know the difference. Just a simple question. Thanks in advance Regards DJ

If you are describing your present state of health, you can say 'I have a cold' or 'I have (/'ve) got a cold'.

If you are describing the past onset of a cold, you can say 'I caught a cold' or, possibly, 'I got a cold'.

Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friend told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?

Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friends told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?
It's perfectly acceptable BrE. You can find out where members are from by clicking on 'Member Info' below their usernames.

Last edited:
Ok fine thanks for it. I also agree with you. But one of my friend told me that it is INDIANISM to use " I have a cold" . where are you from ?

Your friend is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back