[General] Is there anyone who once told you....(pickup line)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I saw a woman who's good-looking and I used the following sentence as a pick-up line "Is there anyone who once told you you look like the actress _____?"

Is my pick-up line natural?

No. All such (dreadful) pickup lines start with "Has anyone ever told you that ...".

No. All such (dreadful) pickup lines start with "Has anyone ever told you that ...".

Are my new sentences natural and grammatical?

Has anyone ever told you that you look like the actress _____?
Has anyone ever told you that you look an actress?

They're okay. If the actress is famous and doesn't share her name with any other celebrities, you shouldn't say "the actress". Her name is all you need.

We wouldn't say "the actress." We'd just say, "Has anyone ever told you you look like Whoopie Goldberg?" (Or whoever.)

That wouldn't make sense. Any woman can look like an actress. There's not one way for an actress to look. They all look different.
Or: "Has anyone ever said you look like Whoopie Goldberg?"

(Cross-post.)

Has anyone ever told you that you look like an actress?

The first works if followed by the actress's name, obviously. As you have been told, if the actress is famous, you'd just use the name. The second doesn't really work because actresses all look different. Someone can't just "look like an actress".

...f the actress is famous, you'd just use the name.

I have a feeling that names are very often not enough to identify a person in China. Adding the occupation makes it clear who you're talking about.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this. :)

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this. :)

No, at least not this time. The other day I saw a name and I thought it was that famous actor's name but it turned out to be a scientist's.

It might have been an actor who plays a scientist.

Or a scientist who plays an actor. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back