[General] Is there any difference in pronunciation between "want" and "won't"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexander32

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is there any difference in pronunciation between "want" and "won't"?

It seems to me these pronunciations are identical. :?:

Re: Is there any difference in pronunciation between "want" and "won't"?

And when you've got to grips with those, have a listen to the noun "wont" (no apostrophe) meaning "a person's customary/normal behaviour". You can click on the speaker icon HERE. Then you can tell us whether you think it sounds the same as "want" or "won't" (or neither).

You should not pronounce these words in the same way.

I suggest you simply make the vowel in won't long and the vowel in want short.

You should not pronounce these words in the same way.

I suggest you simply make the vowel in won't long and the vowel in want short.

But if the OP uses the same vowel sound and simply lengthens it, he/she won't be pronouncing one of them correctly.

But if the OP uses the same vowel sound and simply lengthens it, he/she won't be pronouncing one of them correctly.

The OP shouldn't really worry about pronouncing 'correctly'. First, there's no single 'correct' way of pronouncing anyway, and second, the OP will always have a Russian accent.

The important thing to get right first, I think, is to make sure there is some distinction between the two vowels that are produced. What is paramount is intelligibility. Part of intelligibilty comes from differentiation of sounds. The most significant difference between want and won't is that the first is a monophthong whereas the second is a diphthong.

Without being able to hear the Alexander's pronunciation, I can only give very basic suggestions of how to improve instantly.

I want to thank everyone for participating. Now I kinda get it. Very helpful links by the way.

It will take some time for me to pronounce each word correctly. And that's okay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back