cnjackie88

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We don't have a specific idea of where we want to reach and what we want to become in life.

In this sentence, is the word "reach" correct?

Yes, I think "where we want to reach" means our destination or goal, but is rather general.

Last edited:
Please tell us the source and author of any text you quote,@cnjackie.

If you wrote that sentence yourself, please tell us the context.

Last edited:
It‘s a test question from Middle School Entrance Examination.
22.jpg

The passage gives the first letter of the word. I'm not sure about No.68.

It‘s a test question from a/the Middle School Entrance Examination.
If there's just one such examination in China, use "the". If there's more than one, use "a".
The passage gives the first letter of the word. I'm not sure about No.68.
I can't think of anything other than "reach" that would naturally fit there.

Neither can I, and I can't find that extract here, either, even after using Control F and searching for 'Alice'.

Neither can I, and I can't find that extract here, either, even after using Control F and searching for 'Alice'.
I found the excerpt on the same site you were on, by using CMD F (on a Mac) and searching for "depends".
The quote ends with the "Then it doesn't matter which way you go" line, although the original ends "said the Cat" and the version in post #4 ends "replied the cat". There are a couple of other differences between the two.

We don't have a specific idea of where we want to reach...

I think the underlined part is not natural, though possible. "Our destinations/goals" would have been better.

Last edited:
If there's just one such examination in China, use "the". If there's more than one, use "a".

I can't think of anything other than "reach" that would naturally fit there.
“Reach” here is a transitive verb, while "where" is an adverb.
Can they be put together?

where we want to reach = the place(noun) we want to reach

where we want to reach = the place space here (noun) we want to reach
@tedmc Remember to put a space before an opening bracket. I've edited a couple of your posts silently to correct this error but I suspect you haven't noticed the explanation that should come up in your notifications.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back