Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
I've got some sentences that confused me:

1- Prestige, call it status if you like, is in great demand these days.

2- An older law was operating at the box office: if you try to please everybody, you don't please any anybody.

3- Louise had then-she has it still- something near genius for making improbable persons, places, and sometimes sound attractive.

4- Dearest, his voice broke, he could speak no more.

I've got some sentences that confused me:

1- Prestige, call it status if you like, is in great demand these days. OK with the commas.

2- An older law was operating at the box office: if you try to please everybody, you don't please any anybody. OK as it is punctuated.

3- Louise had then-she has it still- something near genius for making improbable persons, places, and sometimes sound attractive. OK, I would use parenthesis rather than dashes.

4- Dearest, his voice broke, he could speak no more. I would use a colon after "broke".
Bhai.

4- Dearest, his voice broke, he could speak no more.

I would use a semicolon after broke.

Rover

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
. . .if you try to please everybody, you don't please [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] anybody.

Rover

OK, I would use parenthesis rather than dashes.
Bhaisahab, why is the singular form "parenthesis" correct here? Do we call the string "()" parentheses or parenthesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back