[General] Is it ok to say;It is forty-five past six?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Is it OK to say;It is forty-five past six?

Is it OK to say (no semi-colon here) "It is forty-five past six"?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

No, you can't say that. You can say (in BrE):

- It's six forty-five.
- It's quarter to seven.

Note my corrections to your post above.

So that we can help you better in future, please tell us what English teaching qualification you hold and what age/level your students are.

Welcome to the forum.
:hi:
Thanks.Where are my previous posts?

No, you can't say that. You can say (in BrE):

- It's six forty-five.
- It's quarter to seven.

Note my corrections to your post above.

So that we can help you better in future, please tell us what English teaching qualification you hold and what age/level your students are.

Thanks for your corrections.I can't use my keyboard well.That is all.
I am teaching in a primary school.

So we should say 'It is six fifty- five.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't. In my opinion six forty, six fifty, for example, are fine.

In another words how do you say the time with 'past' when the minutes are more than thirty two?

Why do you mention thirty-two?

If it's 6:45, say:

It's six forty-five.
It's (a) quarter to seven.

Very rarely, we might have a reason to say:

It's forty-five minutes past six.

a-It is fifty past six.
b-It is 10 to seven.
c-It is six fifty.
I think (a) is wrong and (b-c) are correct.Am i right?

Why do you mention thirty-two?

It's forty-five minutes past six.

yes,when I was a child ,I learned it this way.Now I am 44 and a teacher.I should learn it correctly

a - It is fifty past six.
b - It is [STRIKE]10[/STRIKE] ten to seven.
c - It is six fifty.

I think (a) is wrong and (b-c) are correct. Am I right?

You are right. (a) is wrong.
Both (b) and (c) can be used with my correction above.

Remember to put a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark. Remember to capitalise the word "I" every time you write or type it.

Generally, we use 'past' or 'after' from :01 - :30.

From :31-:59 we can use any of the following: 'to', 'till', 'until', 'of', or less commonly (at least in AmE) 'before'.

We frequently refer to :15 and :45 as a 'quarter', and :30 as 'half', subject to the above guidelines on which preposition to use.

:00 is "o'clock" (or just the straight number), with special names of 'noon' for 12:00 p.m. and 'midnight' for 12:00 a.m.

We tend to use the prepositions only on the five minute increments, so it's less uncommon to say things like 'twenty-seven minutes past three' or 'twelve minutes to five'. It's not wrong, but it sounds overly formal. You will hear news broadcasts and such state the time that way fairly often, however. For this reason, people sometimes informally round up or down when giving the time.

And of course, one can always simply state the time as a straight number and forgo prepositions altogether. "It's three fifty-two."

Generally, we use 'past' or 'after' from :01 - :30.
I haven't heard "It's thirty past six", and would limit your range to 1 - 29 minutes (or more specifically 0 - 30 minutes exclusive).

Yes. When I was a child, I learned it this way. Now I am 44 and a teacher. I should learn it correctly.

Please note my corrections above. It is very important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

It is particularly important that you get these things right because you are an English teacher.

Hmm.
[STRIKE]"It's half past six." is correct, isn't it?[/STRIKE]
"It's half past six" is correct, isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, but leave out the full stop when the quoted text doesn't end the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back