Status
Not open for further replies.

sun99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everybody~
I have a question.
I know <due to + noun = because of + noun = owing to + noun >
but I don't know if <due to ~ing / because of ~ing / owing to ~ing> can be used.

If they can be used, please tell me example sentences.
Thank you for your help.

Hello everybody~
I have a question.
I know <due to + noun = because of + noun = owing to + noun >
but I don't know if <due to ~ing / because of ~ing / owing to ~ing> can be used.

If they can be used, please tell me example sentences.
Thank you for your help.

You can use ‘ing’ form of a verb as gerund, as:

I took some medicine yesterday due to having excessive cold.
A ship is able to float on water due to having a lower density than the density of the water.
My body is getting tan due to swimming

You can use ‘ing’ form of a verb as gerund, as:

1. I took some medicine yesterday due to having excessive cold.
2. A ship is able to float on water due to having a lower density than the density of the water.
3. My body is getting tan due to swimming

1. having excessive cold is not acceptable BrE
2. If I used a gerund here, which is unlikely, I would put its in front of it.
3. My body is getting tan is not BrE.

Even with some re-writing, all three seem fairly unacceptable to me. At the time of writing this, I cannot think of a single example in which due to + gerund sounds natural.

1. having excessive cold is not acceptable BrE
2. If I used a gerund here, which is unlikely, I would put its in front of it.
3. My body is getting tan is not BrE.

Even with some re-writing, all three seem fairly unacceptable to me. At the time of writing this, I cannot think of a single example in which due to + gerund sounds natural.
This construction is widely used in Indian English, which is a recognised form of the language. I will say that in #2 "its having" would be better, and #3 should be "getting tanned".

Reactions: 5jj
Some phrases I found:

Tiredness due to walking
Fired from many jobs due to talking too much
Inability to ejaculate due to wanking excessively
Garbage problem due to killing too many pigs

They don't seem entirely unnatural to me.

This construction is widely used in Indian English, which is a recognised form of the language. I will say that in #2 "its having" would be better, and #3 should be "getting tanned".

Thank you for that. I had a suspicion it might be so, which is why I was careful to say 'not acceptable BrE'.

I know little about Indian English which is, I agree, a recognised form of the language. You say, "This construction is widely used in Indian English." Do you mean that it is considered 'correct' by, for example, people (in India) marking examination papers in English, or just that it is widely used on the streets?

Thank you for that. I had a suspicion it might be so, which is why I was careful to say 'not acceptable BrE'.

I know little about Indian English which is, I agree, a recognised form of the language. You say, "This construction is widely used in Indian English." Do you mean that it is considered 'correct' by, for example, people (in India) marking examination papers in English, or just that it is widely used on the streets?
It's generally considered correct.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back