Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm very confused whether to use "is" Or "does" While asking a question. For example in following question.

Is "when" act like a conjunction?

Does "when" act like a conjunction?

Please clarify when do we use "is"?

I'd say Does 'when' function as a conjunction there? , or Does 'when' act as a conjunction there?, or Can 'when' act as a conjunction? - depends on what you want to say.
Using to be you can say Is 'when' a conjunction (there)?, or Is 'when' a conjunction or an interrogative (pronoun) [or anything else]?

doesn't work at all - there are two main verbs in one and the same clause (sentence)- that doesn't work, it's wrong. Maybe you can say Is 'when' acting as a conjunction (there)?

Forming wh-questions:
With an auxiliary verb:
In English we usually form wh-questions with wh- + an auxiliary verb (be, do or have) + subject + main verb or with wh- + a modal verb + subject + main verb
Without an auxiliary verb:
When what, who, which or whose is the subject or part of the subject, we do not use the auxiliary. We use the word order subject + verb.

Forming yes-no questions:
With an auxiliary verb:
We form yes-no questions with an auxiliary verb (be, do or have) + subject + main verb or with a modal verb + subject + main verb.
Where there is no auxiliary verb be, have or modal verb already present in the statement, we use the auxiliary do, does, did: Statement form (no auxiliary)
Without an auxiliary verb:
When we ask yes-no questions using the main verb be, we don’t use an auxiliary verb. The word order is: be + subject.

Forming alternative questions:
An alternative question gives a choice of two or more answers in the question and includes or.
With an auxiliary verb:
We usually form alternative questions with an auxiliary verb (be, do or have) + subject + main verb or with a modal verb + subject + main verb.
When we ask alternative questions using the main verb be, we don’t use an auxiliary verb. The word order is: be + subject.

By the bye, cordial welcome here.(y):)

Last edited:
@shootingstar, please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

You could put it into your signature line like tedmc did. (See post #2 in this thread.)

Last edited:
I'm very confused whether to use "is" Or "does" While asking a question. For example in following question.

Does "when" act like a conjunction?

Please clarify when do we use "is"?

The answer to your question depends on what tense you're using to ask the question. With a small correction to your first option, both are possible.

We form the simple present interrogative with the helping verb 'do'. The present continuous forms a question with the 'be' verb as the helping verb.

Is 'when' acting like a conjunction? (You just neglected to add '-ing' to the main verb for the continuous form.)
Does 'when' act like a conjunction?

Click on your username next to the Conversations and Alerts icons in the blue strip near the top of the page.

Click on Signature.

On the Edit Signature page, type Not a teacher in the big space, then click Save.

Click on your username next to the Conversations and Alerts icons in the blue strip near the top of the page.

Click on Signature.

On the Edit Signature page, type Not a teacher in the big space, then click Save.
Sorry, I can't find the word Signature in my account.

I also don't see any indication in tedmc's post #2 indicating he is "Not a Teacher". What am I missing? ;)
Check your settings. It's possible to set your profile so that you can't see other people's signature lines. That might have been set inadvertently. Can you see my signature line?

In "Account details" my "Settings" are blocked actually.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back