Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is correct?

1) A total of the students is....?
2) A total of the students are...?

Which one is correct?

1) A total of the students is....?
2) A total of the students are...?

The word "total" is singular and takes a singular verb. That said, I don't know what you can follow that with and still have a meaningful sentence.

The word "total" is singular and takes a singular verb. That said, I don't know what you can follow that with and still have a meaningful sentence.

Does this mean that the sentence below is correct?

- A total of ten students is going to have a retake of the exam this coming Monday.

Or, it should be "are" instead. If this sentence uses "are", could you give me an example of a sentence that uses "total" and "is" in which "total" is the subject. Thanks.

- A total of ten students is going to have a retake of the exam this coming Monday.

Well, :?:yes:?:, but the opening phrase strikes me as dead wood - I'd prefer just 'ten students are...', or - if you want to emphasize the total - 'ten students altogether...'

b

Or, it should be "are" instead. If this sentence uses "are", could you give me an example of a sentence that uses "total" and "is" in which "total" is the subject. Thanks.

Yes, I would use a singular verb there. There are those, I assume, who would choose a plural verb because of "students", but that would be incorrect, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back