Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

What expression or a verb would you use to describe someone who avoids their responsibilities at work? I am talking about a situation when people miss their job, are late for work or ask a colleague to do something at work instead of them.

How about: irresponsible staff or staff with poor attitude.

Such actions can be informally be described as 'goldbricking'.

That's new to me. It seems to be almost exclusively AE at present.

I can't think of one word that would cover all the scenarios you mentioned in post #1.

We do use the phrase "shirking one's responsibilities" but it wouldn't be used for being late for work or missing work. At a stretch, it could be used for someone who gets other people to do their work for them but it's not a great fit for that either.

I wouldn't be likely to use a verb for any of them. I'd use a noun for the person. He/She sounds like a waste of space, a waste of pay and a nightmare employee.

Last edited:
I can't think of one word that would cover all the scenarios you mentioned in post #1.

We do use the phrase "shirking one's responsibilities" but it wouldn't be used for being late for work or missing work. At a stretch, it could be used for someone who gets other people to do their work for them but it's not a great fit for that either.

I wouldn't be likely to use a verb for any of them. I'd use a noun for the person. He/She sounds like a waste of space, a waste of pay and a nightmare employee.

But why are "shirkers" called "skivers" if to "skive" means to avoid work or school and "shirk" isn't used for missing work?

I didn't say "shirkers" were called "skivers". For me, a skiver is someone who takes a day off work or school without a good reason - they usually say they're sick but they're not. They're said to be "skiving off".
As I said in my previous post, I don't think "shirking one's responsibilities" is a great fit for the work context. At a stretch, again, for someone to be shirking their responsibilities at work, I would say they actually turn up but then simply either don't do what they're meant to or somehow persuade someone else to do it.

I'd be far more likely to use it for something like an absent father/mother who doesn't pay maintenance to the other parent or fails to keep contact appointments with the child. I'd use it for moral responsibilities rather than employment responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back