Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi!
Please, could anyone provide examples of verbs that can be irregular or regular but in different usages?
Ex: Cost "requires a sum of money to enable you to afford it" ..........> cost - cost
Cost "estimate how much money will be needed to afford something" ...........> costed - costed

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone provide more, please?

A few verbs are irregular in two different ways: in certain uses they take the same irregular form for the simple past and past participle, while in others, they take different irregular forms. If I remember right, the different forms appear in transitive versus intransitive uses.

Unfortunately I can never remember what they are.

A few verbs are irregular in two different ways: in certain uses they take the same irregular form for the simple past and past participle, while in others, they take different irregular forms. If I remember right, the different forms appear in transitive versus intransitive uses.
Although this point is off-topic but it really drew my attention. Can anyone provide examples?

[strike]Is[/strike] Are there any more?

Use "Are there ..." with countable nouns. Use "Is there ..." with uncountable nouns. You are asking about more examples or more nouns, both of which are countable.

Use "Are there ..." with countable nouns. Use "Is there ..." with uncountable nouns. You are asking about more examples or more nouns, both of which are countable.
I did doubt it before using it but I turned out to be wrong. :-? :)

Of course, "Is there" can be used with singular countable nouns.

Is there a cat on my head?

Of course, "Is there" can be used with singular countable nouns.
Then, shall I give a total explanation? :)
"Use "Are there ..." with plural [countable] nouns. Use "Is there ..." with uncountable and singular countable nouns."

Last edited by a moderator:
hang/hung - e.g., picture
hang/hanged ​- e.g., a criminal

But this one seems to be known to a tiny minority nowadays. I use hanged, but very few others do.

But this one seems to be known to a tiny minority nowadays. I use hanged, but very few others do.

I use it and I correct the error if I hear/see it.

I have no idea what you mean.
I meant to combine the two responses given by you to give a full response, not missing any notes.

Your response about "missing any notes" meant nothing to me either.

Your response about "missing any notes" meant nothing to me either.
Are you upset I said this?! It is not a shame to forget something!

Are you upset I said this?! It is not a shame to forget something!

I'm not upset. I'm confused. Neither Piscean nor I understood what you meant by two of your posts. So far, there has been no clear explanation of what you meant.

The only thing I can think is that you are suggesting that I should have combined the advice I gave in two consecutive posts into one post. If that's what you were suggesting, that's what you should have said.

The only thing I can think is that you are suggesting that I should have combined the advice I gave in two consecutive posts into one post.
Yes, that's what I did mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the internet for you- I often hit send and then think of something else to say. It may well be a part or a consequence of the send command. It's not always easy to say everything in a medium that cries out for prompt answers.

Yes, that's what I [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] meant.

Note the above. Also, please stop posting your responses in bold. It's unnecessary. Bold should only be used to draw attention to a specific word/phrase within a post; this can also be effected by the use of "quotation marks" or italics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back