Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We do have greater ability to think in comparison to animals. They can think as well but their IQ is not as high as ours. They cannot solve maths problems or read books. Human beings are also animals but we differentiate ourselves from animals based on our brain capability.

Please check my sentences.

I didn't want to post this thread because there is already one that is open. You ask me not to post another until one has been dealt with but if I didn't do this I would forget this question.

We do have a greater ability to think in comparison to animals. They can think, as well, but their IQ is not as high as ours.

Mind your commas! Without them, that sentence contradicted the first one.

They cannot solve maths problems or read books.

That doesn't mean we're smarter. It just means we can use number and symbols. Other animals are smart in other ways. We've all evolved brains that help us survive. You might even notice that our brains get us into trouble: War. Climate change. Pollution. Addiction. Video games. How smart is any of that?

Human beings are also animals, but we differentiate ourselves from animals based on our brain capability.

Please check my sentences.

I didn't want to post this thread because there is already one that is open. You asked me not to post another until one has been dealt with, but if I didn't do this I would forget this question.
No one has ever really defined intelligence or found a good way to measure it.

You're close to being put back in moderation, tufguy.

Thread closed.

I didn't want to post this thread because there is already one that is open. You ask me not to post another until one has been dealt with but if I didn't do this I would forget this question.

Don't be ridiculous, tufguy. I am certain that you own a pen and some paper. When you think of a question, WRITE IT DOWN! Keep the piece of paper by your computer and then, when we have finished dealing with one of your threads, you can post the new question.

Our patience is wearing very thin. As Rover said, if you continue like this, you'll be back in moderation. You don't want that. We don't want that. But you're really leaving us little choice.

Can we measure the IQ of a cat?

Can we measure the IQ of a cat?
No, but we can place cats on a spectrum of approximate biological intelligence. We can compute the encephelization quotient, a measure of actual versus predicted brain volume in vertebrates. This gives us a crude way to compare the intelligence of the average cat with that of, say, a velociraptor.

I know a fair bit about this subject. EQ was invented by a very close relative. I helped him put the book that made him famous among the small community of scientists who cared about the subject back together when his publisher's copy editor took it upon herself to change it from his carefully-chosen active voice into the passive. :)

That makes sense.

I love cats, but I don't think they're intellectually complex. They're brilliant at what they do. And that's basically it. A cat and a velocipator- probably a fair comparison, based on a few Jurassic World movies.

That makes sense.

I love cats, but I don't think they're intellectually complex. They're brilliant at what they do. And that's basically it. A cat and a velocipator- probably a fair comparison, based on a few Jurassic World movies.
I'll take a look at the charts in the book and see if there's one that relates those two species. If not, I'll ask the world's leading authority on the subject. He may have newer ones.

Encephelization quotient of velociraptor: 0.2; cat: 1.0.

You can see various species' EQs, and a discussion of their significance, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back