Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,

My English is not good, please forgive me if my post sounds strange to you. I want to ask a question about the international phonetic alphabet symbols.

/eɪ/, /əʊ/, /aɪ/, /aʊ/, /ɔɪ/, /ɪə/, /eə/, /ʊə/,
/ʧ/, /ts/, /tr/, /ʤ/, /dz/, /dr/, /ɚ/, /ɝ/

Should we regard each of these symbols and sounds as one single IPA symbol and one single phoneme or a combination of two IPA symbols and a combination of two phonemes? Could you please help me? Thank you very much.

/eɪ/, /əʊ/, /aɪ/, /aʊ/, /ɔɪ/, /ɪə/, /eə/, /ʊə/,

Each of these represent a diphthong glide in BrE. This is regarded as a single phoneme, but being a glide, it is made up of more than one sound, hence the use of more than one IPA symbol.

I'll come back to the others when I have a little more time.

dʒ, tʃ, ts: each pair represents two individual phonemes.

/d͡ʒ/ (/ʤ/), //t͡ʃ/ /(ʧ/), /t͡s/ (/ʦ/: each represents two individual phonemes which are run together to sounds that are considered affricates, single phonemes, in some languages.

dr, tr: each pair represents two individual phonemes. In certain positions, for example before a vowel, they may blend together, but remain two individual phonemes.

/ɚ/, /ɝ/: each symbol represents a rhoticised vowel, which is considered a single phoneme/sound.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back