Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is my interpretation of the bold part correct or not? "with two different methods of inquiry I reached the identical goal and I must deny God if I don't admit immortality and it is incorrect that I say since I have no further proof, I must deny the continued existence of man after death."

Does "two methods of inquiry" refer o "intelligent communications" and "evidence of my senses of sight, hearing, and feeling" or not?

He adds: I now have the empirical experience of the existence of such transcendental beings, which I am convinced of by the evidence of my senses of sight, hearing, and feeling, as well as by their own intelligent communications. Under these circumstances, being led by two methods of inquiry to the self-same goal, I must indeed be abandoned of the gods if I did not recognize the fact of the immortality—or rather let us say, since the proofs do not extend farther—the continued existence of man after death.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

"I should mention that I asked the same question on another forum but I received no answer".

Last edited:
Is my interpretation of the bold part correct or not? "with two different methods of inquiry I reached the identical goal and I must deny God if I don't admit immortality and it is incorrect that I say since I have no further proof, I must deny the continued existence of man after death."

Does "two methods of inquiry" refer to "intelligent communications" and "evidence of my senses of sight, hearing, and feeling" or not?

He adds: I now have the empirical experience of the existence of such transcendental beings, which I am convinced of by the evidence of my senses of sight, hearing, and feeling, as well as by their own intelligent communications. Under these circumstances, being led by two methods of inquiry to the self-same goal, I must indeed be abandoned of the gods if I did not recognize the fact of the immortality—or rather let us say, since the proofs do not extend farther—the continued existence of man after death.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

no quotation marks here I should mention that I asked the same question on another forum but I received no answer. no quotation marks here

Note my corrections above. I am slightly frustrated by the fact that in almost every post you have made so far, we have shown you in our corrections that you must capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun) every time you write it, yet you continue to make the same error.

I don't follow your rephrase very well so I can't tell for sure if your interpretation is correct. However, it seems that you're saying he denies the continued existence of the soul after death.

If so, you've got it completely the wrong way round—he fully believes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back