Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi, I' d like to know if the following sentences are ok. Thanks.

Context: you are walking next to your toddler along a road without pavement. You hear that a car is coming along; you want to give him the right instructions while you are holding his hand.

1) keep to one side
2) stand on one side

What sentences would a native speaker use to teach a child not to walk in the middle of the road?

Hi, I' d like to know if the following sentences are [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK/okay. Thanks.

Context: you are walking next to your toddler along a road without a pavement. You hear [STRIKE][STRIKE]that[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] a car [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] coming [STRIKE]along[/STRIKE]; you want to give him the right instructions while you are holding his hand.

1) keep to one side
2) stand on one side

What sentences would a native speaker use to teach a child not to walk in the middle of the road?

If you're walking, it wouldn't make sense to say "Stand". I would say "Keep [over] to the side [of the road]."

Ripley, my guess is that you are talking about a dirt road.

In the UK, there are plenty of normal, tarmac roads which don't have a pavement on either side.

Let's make sure we are understanding each other:

In AE, a pavement is a road/highway with a solid, permanent surface like tarmac or concrete.

In BE, a pavement is a footpath for pedestrians (AE sidewalk) on one or both sides of a road.

Misunderstandings about this could have potentially fatal implications.

Let's make sure we are understanding each other:

In AE, a pavement is a road/highway with a solid, permanent surface like tarmac or concrete.

In BE, a pavement is a footpath for pedestrians (AE sidewalk) on one or both sides of a road.

Misunderstandings about this could have potentially fatal implications.

Pavement is rarely if ever used as a countable noun in AmE. It's the stuff which the hard surface of a road is made out of: asphalt, concrete, brick, or cobblestones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back