[General] Instead of 'Yours faithfully', what should we write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

write2subhayu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
While writing a formal letter to my boss, I use the phrase 'yours faithfully' to end the letter. But what should I write instead of that in the following cases:

1. While writing a formal letter to the manager of a bank or shop where I am a customer?

2. While writing a formal letter to may client?

While writing a formal letter to my boss, I use the phrase 'yours faithfully' to end the letter. But what should I write instead of that in the following cases:

1. While writing a formal letter to the manager of a bank or shop where I am a customer?

2. While writing a formal letter to may client?

If you are writing any kind of formal or business letter which begins with "Dear Sir/Madam" then "Yours faithfully" is the correct ending.

If you start the letter with "Dear + recipient's name" then "Yours sincerely" is the correct ending.

In AmE, the following are standard/acceptable complimentary closings used in business letters:

Sincerely,
Sincerely yours,
Very truly yours,
Regards,
Best regards,
Respectfully,
Cordially,

"Yours faithfully" is very rarely used as a complimentary closing in business correspondence in the US. If you are writing to a bank or shop where you are a customer, I would suggest "sincerely", "best regards" or "respectfully". If you are writing to a long-time client with whom you have a personal relationship "faithfully yours" might be acceptable; otherwise, "very truly yours", "cordially" or "sincerely yours" are appropriate choices.

If you are writing any kind of formal or business letter which begins with "Dear Sir/Madam" then "Yours faithfully" is the correct ending.

If you start the letter with "Dear + recipient's name" then "Yours sincerely" is the correct ending.

When I am writing a letter to the bank manager and I am a client of that bank, is it logical to write 'Yours faithfully'? Because, in this case, the bank is supposed to be faithful to me, I am not obliged to be faithful to the bank, isn't it?

In AmE, the following are standard/acceptable complimentary closings used in business letters:

Sincerely,
Sincerely yours,
Very truly yours,
Regards,
Best regards,
Respectfully,
Cordially,

"Yours faithfully" is very rarely used as a complimentary closing in business correspondence in the US. If you are writing to a bank or shop where you are a customer, I would suggest "sincerely", "best regards" or "respectfully". If you are writing to a long-time client with whom you have a personal relationship "faithfully yours" might be acceptable; otherwise, "very truly yours", "cordially" or "sincerely yours" are appropriate choices.

I think this is more logical.

I think this is more logical.
It's not really a question of being more logical; it's just the way it's done in America. Few people actually think about the meaning of the words - they are just polite formulae.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back