inserted a break time between tour courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
He had a problem while/when he went on a trip to Tokyo with his sister......

On the 2nd day of the trip, she finally made a big complaint to him, so they made a big argument/terribly argued with each other. They needed some way/method to continue the trip. so he suggested to her that they (should) set the priority of problems.
The first problem was that as she was wearing new shoes, she had aching feet/her feet ached. So we found out a drug store and bought an ointment and a bandage, which she applied to her feet. also bought some jelly pad to make the shoes more comfortable. And the second problem was that they wanted to go to too big an area. so they discussed again on reducing tour points and inserted a break time between tour courses.

1.I'd like to choose the best one in the underlined parts.

2. Do these all work? Foot ache doesn't seem to exist.
- she had aching feet
- her feet ached.

Last edited:
You're right that "foot ache" doesn't exist. Both of your alternatives are OK.

Perhaps:

He had a problem while he was on a trip to Tokyo with his sister. She started an argument.

I suggest that you don't bother to use the word finally.

1. In a is "with each other" redundant? Would "I made a big argument with her" be better?
a. so they made a big argument with each other.
b. So they terribly argued with each other

2. I changed the underlined to "put break times between them". Is it better than the original?
And the second problem was that they wanted to go to too big an area. so they discussed again on reducing tour points and put break times between them.

1. In a is "with each other" redundant? Yes.
Would "I [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] had a big argument with her" be better? Yes.

a. so they [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] had a big argument. [STRIKE]with each other.[/STRIKE]
b. So they [STRIKE]terribly[/STRIKE] argued terribly with each other

2. I changed the underlined to "put break times between them". Is it better than the original?
No, this new version is not natural.

And the second problem was that they wanted to go to too big an area (no comma here) so they discussed again [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] reducing the number of tour points and [STRIKE]put break times[/STRIKE] have more breaks between them.

See above.

I forgot to add "evening", so added it as their argument happened in the evening.
but this can't help but have two "of", which seems a little bit unnatural to me. So what do you think?

On the evening of the 2nd day of the trip, she made a big complaint to him, so they had a big argument..

Perhaps:

He had a problem while he was on a trip to Tokyo with his sister. She started an argument.

I suggest that you don't bother to use the word finally.

How can you express with an adverb that someone contained or suppressed his or her feeling and,,," " the feeling came out"?
"finally" was used to indicate such situation, so I can't think of any better word except for "eventually".

See above.
"put breaks" was used to mean "to decide to have more breaks", so if you say "have more breaks", it means that it actually happened later.
I'd like to know how to say "allocate or assign breaks", I hit upon these just now, which might be better.

and put break times have more breaks between them.

Try:

take breaks from each other

You don't need an adverb. Perhaps:

She expressed feelings she had been holding inside.

I said what I said about finally because you weren't using it the right way. Now I think eventually needs to join finally. (They can keep each other company. ;-) )

Try:

take breaks from each other

I don't understand what "each other" and "take breaks" mean respectively.
The meaning of the sentence is "according to the discussion, they decided to take more breaks between tour points - allocating or assigning more breaks ".

so they discussed again on reducing tour points and inserted a break time between tour courses.

Perhaps:

They talked about reducing the number of places they visited in a day and taking more breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back