Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Are my sentences natural?

Initially, I turned down the invitation, but Dave called me and somehow roped me into attending his "little" soiree. I had a great time, no doubt, although there were tons of people getting wasted and going hard on dopes.

Last edited:
Re: Initially I rejected the invitation

Are my sentences natural?

Initially, I turned down the invitation, but Dave called me and somehow roped me into attending his "little" soiree. I had a great time, no doubt, although there were tons of people getting wasted and going hard on dope.
Understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to delete "no doubt" as it makes no sense there.

going hard on dope

going hard on dope

Thanks. What'd be the right word or expression to stress that I had lots of fun instead of "no doubt"? Um "I absolutely had a great time."

I had a great time although there were tons of people there getting wasted and going hard on dope.

There is no reason to add anything.

""I absolutely had a great time."

That's good if you want to overemphasize that you had a good time.
:)

going hard on dope

I have no problem with "no doubt" as defined, ("no uncertainty felt by someone about something") in that context.

What'd be the right word or expression to stress that I had lots of fun instead of "no doubt"? Um "I absolutely had a great time."

As has been mentioned, no doubt is not correct here, but we can't suggest an alternative until we're sure we know what you want to say. Can you say a bit more about what you actually mean? I don't think that you merely want to stress that you had a good time, otherwise you'd say something like I had a really good time.

Maybe you mean for sure.

In BrE they would probably be getting wrecked, sh*tfaced, etc, rather than going hard on dope.

It's true that "going hard on dope" is not a natural turn of phrase, but it is perfectly comprehensible. Getting wrecked or wasted are natural in AmE, and I guess sh*tfaced is too, although I've always associated that with alcohol rather than weed.

By the way, I've also always assumed that sh*t-faced is an allusion to the phrase sh*t-eating grin which both alcohol and weed can induce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back