[Vocabulary] "incur by" or "incur on"

• Thread starter Anders_Denmark
  • Start date
  • Views : 21,771
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anders_Denmark

Am currently reading through some contract terms and am currently wondering about the correct usage of incur on and incur by.

Is the following sentence correct:

"The Service Provider shall be liable vis-à-vis the Customer for any direct damage incurred by the Customer as a result of the Service Provider’s fault or negligence."

The intended meaning is that the service provider is to be held responsible if his fault or negligence will damage the customer, but is that what this sentence actually says?

At first my intuition told me that "incurred by" should be changed to "incurred on", but after searching the internet I am getting more and more in doubt about what is correct...

Am currently reading through some contract terms and am currently wondering about the correct usage of incur on and incur by.

Is the following sentence correct:

"The Service Provider shall be liable vis-à-vis the Customer for any direct damage incurred by the Customer as a result of the Service Provider’s fault or negligence."

The intended meaning is that the service provider is to be held responsible if his fault or negligence will damage the customer, but is that what this sentence actually says?

At first my intuition told me that "incurred by" should be changed to "incurred on", but after searching the internet I am getting more and more in doubt about what is correct...
"incurred by" is correct in your text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back