Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If 1.5mm Tank Jelly Case is way better than 1mm one in every aspect, can this be a good advertising phrase?
I don't know if plain or normal is proper.

* Incomparable to Existing 1mm Plain/Normal Jelly Case

I would say the new one is an improvement over the previous one.

If the 1.5mm Tank Jelly Case is [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE] better than the 1mm one in every [STRIKE]aspect[/STRIKE] respect, [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] would this be a good advertising phrase?
I don't know if "plain" or "normal" is proper.

[STRIKE]*[/STRIKE] [no asterisk] Incomparable to Existing 1mm Plain/Normal Jelly Case
"Incomparable" and "existing" are not the right words. You might want to say Better than the regular 1mm jelly case in every way.

Please remember to mark words and text that you're asking about with quotation marks or italics.

... and please remember to state 'I'm trying to translate an advertising phrase of a smartphone case in Korean to English' in every post on this topic.

...superior to existing 1mm Plain/Normal Jelly Case.

"Incomparable" and "existing" are not the right words. You might want to say Better than the regular 1mm jelly case in every way.

Please remember to mark words and text that you're asking about with quotation marks or italics.

The reason to use "incomparable" is that "better" is not enough to emphasize the superiority of the new item.
The new item is beyond comparison with the regular one. Why can't "incomparable" be used here?

Incomparable to the regular 1mm Plain/Normal Jelly Case

The reason to use "incomparable" is that "better" is not enough to emphasize the superiority of the new item.
The new item is beyond comparison with the regular one. Why can't "incomparable" be used here?

Incomparable to the regular 1mm Plain/Normal Jelly Case
We occasionally use incomparable with the definite article to describe an exceptional person: The incomparable Lauren Bacall stunned moviegoers from her very first appearance at age 19. The adjective by itself does not mean "better than". You'd have to say something like "incomparably superior".

We occasionally use incomparable with the definite article to describe an exceptional person: The incomparable Lauren Bacall stunned moviegoers from her very first appearance at age 19. The adjective by itself does not mean "better than". You'd have to say something like "incomparably superior".

That's what I meant, The original Korean expression is "incomparable" to mean nothing can surpass it.
But you can't add "to the regular 1mm case"? Is "incomparable" used only by itself?

The original Korean expression is "incomparable" to mean nothing can surpass it.
But you can't add "to the regular 1mm case"? Is "incomparable" used only by itself?
I don't understand your final question. "Incomparable" just doesn't work in your description.

Keannu, you are comparing the two and saying that one is better than the other. How can you then say it's incomparable when the whole point is to say the one is better compared to the other one?

Inanimate objects are not usually described as "incomparable." Persons are, such as the incomparable Nat king Cole.

Inanimate objects are not usually described as "incomparable." Persons are, such as the incomparable Nat King Cole.

Out of curiosity, lotus888, is there a reason you used the less common "persons" rather than "people"?

I'd like to refer to special people as individual persons.

It's a personal preference.

By the way, I'm having a heck of time with my PC keyboard. The "shift" key keeps getting stuck. My apologies to the incomparable Nat King Cole.

I like to refer to special people as individual persons.

It's a personal preference.

Is that what you teach your students?

I teach them to respect the language and speak in a manner understood by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back