[Grammar] In which cases "to" is used before agent instead of "by" in Passive Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie10

Member Type
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In which cases "to" is used before agent instead of "by" in Passive Voice

Hi,

Could you please explain in which verb forms "to" is used before Agent instead of "by" in Passive Voice.

For example: The Passive Voice form of "I know him" is "He is known to me" NOT "He is known by me"
So, as per my knowledge, this method is used for the verbs like know, expect, want etc.

Kindly explain..

Re: In which cases "to" is used before agent instead of "by" in Passive Voice

I'd say that 'He is known to me' is a special case and is not an example of the passive voice.

The verbs 'expect' and 'want' take 'by' in the passive.

Hi
Thanks for your explanation. I can not remember but I have read such patterns in some writings or books where 'to' has been used before agent instead of traditional 'by' and that makes me curious to find out the correct answer. Are there any other verbs that demand 'to' instead of 'by' ?

Plz elucidate..

This is not a rule that I am aware of. I suggest you use "by" for your passive sentences, but even more so, I suggest you avoid passive sentences unless you have a very good reason for using one. When you know and want to identify the agent, you probably don't want the passive.

Hi
Thanks Barb_D for your sincere reply and considering my issue an inevitable question for the learners. We have come here to share our confusions and learn. This is of course a serious issue I realised and thus sought for proper explanation. I will try to avoid useless use of passive forms in such cases.
Regards

'He is known to me' is a special case and is not an example of the passive voice.
Then is 'known' an adjective here?

I would say yes.

Thanks Matthew Wai and MikeNewYork for sharing your views. The point should be considered that "known" is an adjective and thus "He is known to me" is not a passive but simple active form. The ACTUAL passive form is "he is known by me."

Regards

"known" is an adjective and thus "He is known to me" is not a passive but simple active form.
I think an adjective has neither an active nor a passive form, but I am not a teacher.

I think an adjective has neither an active nor a passive form, but I am not a teacher.

Well.. I would love more discussion on this point..Involvement of more members would certainly help us to come to a conclusion, since we are NOT teachers but of course can share our ideas to form a universally accepted explanation..

Adjectives do not have active or passive forms.

The better question is, do you understand the meaning? If so, stop worrying about the grammar.

Well.. I would love more discussion on this point..Involvement of more members would certainly help us to come to a conclusion, since we are NOT teachers but of course can share our ideas to form a universally accepted explanation.
A universally accepted explanation is rarely the outcome of a sharing of ideas, especially when you involve more opinions. You might get a majority consensus.
By the way, some of the contributors are teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back