[Grammar] In true 2020 fashion, we will be making some major changes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a mail]

Major changes coming to Clyp

[...]

In true 2020 fashion, we will be making some major (and likely quite unpopular) changes to the platform. This was a very tough decision, but we realized it is absolutely necessary for the long-term survival of Clyp.

Effective December 5, 2020 Clyp will be moving to a fully paid platform.

What this means is that after December 5, 2020 we are removing the ability to upload new Clyps to free accounts. The current free tier, known as Basic, will become $3/month or $24/year. We will be offering a discount through the end of 2020 where current free users can upgrade to Basic for only $18/year for the first year (subsequent renewals will be billed at full price). Plus and Pro will remain unchanged.

If you currently have a free account, you will still be able to login and listen to anything you’ve uploaded, leave comments, and download your Clyps - the only thing you will not be able to do anymore is upload new content.

[...]
-------
Questions:

1. What does it mean by 'In true 2020 fashion'? I know that 'in a ... fashion' means 'in a particular way', but I still don't know what the blue part means. (In true 2020 way?)

2. Effective December 5, 2020

Does it mean 'Effective from December 5, 2020'? I think that the 'from' can be omitted because the full part is in a 'title' way. Is that right?

3. Does the 'where' here mean 'in the/a situation in which'? (We will be offering a discount through the end of 2020 in the situation in which current free users can upgrade ....)

4. Should the 'upload' be either of these?

a. The only thing you will not be able to do anymore is to upload new content.

b. T
he only thing you will not be able to do anymore is uploading new content.
----
(The full content)
https://i.imgur.com/Y3TIDEt.jpg

Last edited:
1. What does it mean by 'In true 2020 fashion'? I know that 'in a ... fashion' means 'in a particular way', but I still don't know what the blue part means. (In true 2020 way?)

Maybe it means that on the Web it is a popular way to move from a partly paid platform to a fully paid one in 2020. That could be so-called 'in true 2020 fashion'.

What do you think? :-?

1. In true 2020 fashion

True does not mean much by itself. True, meaning in accordance with or accurate, has to go with something. It begs the question: true to what?
Fashion is manner. I can only guess that it is about a bold move to change for the better - providing users with more options for a fee.

2. Effective December 5, 2020

I agree with you that the preposition could be omitted.

3. Does the 'where' here mean 'in the/a situation in which'?

Yes

4. Should the 'upload' be either of these?

Yes, it could be in the infinitive or gerund form.

Could any native speakers join us? :)

"In true 2020 fashion" means "in a manner typical of 2020". I don't think it works very well in the quoted text; I'd expect it to be followed by a description of some kind of calamity much more serious than the imposition of a paywall.

To makes changes to an online business by charging users to survive. Is that typical of year 2020?
I thought online businesses have been booming in 2020.

"In true 2020 fashion" means "in a manner typical of 2020". I don't think it works very well in the quoted text; I'd expect it to be followed by a description of some kind of calamity much more serious than the imposition of a paywall.
Like this?

[My original sentence]

In true 2020 fashion, some of celebrities passed away over these months because of COVID-19.

Like this?

[My original sentence]

In true 2020 fashion, some [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] celebrities passed away [STRIKE]over these[/STRIKE] in recent months because of COVID-19.

No. It's usually used for one specific occurrence.

In true 2020 fashion, he booked a holiday and then had to cancel it two weeks later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back