Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "in this way" or is there a better phrase to use?

"Globalization has created the consumer society. In this way people are consuming more and more resources."

How about the following?

Globalization has created a consumer society where people are consuming more and more resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the following?

Globalization has created a consumer society where people are consuming more and more resources.

What can I use instead of "in this way"?

I might be wrong but I think I've noticed that you've used "In this way" quite a lot in your writing. I'm pretty sure I've deleted it each time.

I might be wrong but I think I've noticed that you've used "In this way" quite a lot in your writing. I'm pretty sure I've deleted it each time.

You are right. I am looking for another phrase to use instead

You are right. I am looking for another phrase to use instead

"In this way" is a redundant phrase to me, which doesn't add anything to a sentence. I don't think native speakers use it.

You could use thus in place of in this way.

So/hence/therefore/consequently/as a result

"In this way" is a redundant phrase to me, which doesn't add anything to a sentence. I don't think native speakers use it.

We do, just not in the way Rachel has been using it.

So/hence/therefore/consequently/as a result

We tend to discourage learners from starting a sentence with "So". Rachel has been using "In this way" at the beginning of sentences. Your other four suggestions are possible but wouldn't necessarily be appropriate in all sentences.

Rachel, we use "That way" sometimes. Here's an example.

You should line the lasagna dish. That way, the food won't stick.

We tend to discourage learners from starting a sentence with "So". Rachel has been using "In this way" at the beginning of sentences. Your other four suggestions are possible but wouldn't necessarily be appropriate in all sentences.

Rachel, we use "That way" sometimes. Here's an example.

You should line the lasagna dish. That way, the food won't stick.

Thus you use "in this way" but not at the beginning of a sentence. Right?

Thus you use "in this way" but not at the beginning of a sentence. Right?

I hesitate to say that something can never be used but it's been wrong each time you've used it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back