Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand "in the prevailing climate" as "in the trumphant atmosphere." Am I correct?

============================
Sam Harris replied
Kmele
This is a tour de force. Sam is nuanced, fact-based, and in the prevailing climate -- incredibly brave. It may be among his best efforts.

I may or may not agree w/ every conclusion, but I give it my strongest possible endorsement w/ zero hesitation.

Thank you,

@SamHarrisOrg
It's taken me longer than usual to gather my thoughts about recent events. I've done that here. I hope it's useful.

More context is needed to determine that. Note also the correct spelling of "triumphant".

No. Look at adjective definition number one here.

It simply means "in the current climate"?

I notice that the alliteration of "current" and "climate" - so it seems rhetorically better, to most readers, than "in the prevailing climate". Does "in the prevailing climate" sound old-fashioned?

It simply means "in the current climate"?
Yes.

I notice [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the alliteration of "current" and "climate" - so it seems rhetorically better, to most readers, than "in the prevailing climate". Does "in the prevailing climate" sound old-fashioned?
It's a somewhat rarer, more academic word, but it's not old fashioned. The author may not have considered the alliterative version, or he may have rejected it as cliché or because he didn't care for it.

Please note the correct way to formulate a question.

I did want to write this way, but changed my mind because it closely followed the definition that the previous poster gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back