Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. I have visited many countries in the past.
2. I have visited many countries in the past years.
3. I visited many countries in the past.
4. I visited many countries in the past years.

Which sentence is grammatically correct and more idiomatic?

2. I have visited many countries in the past years.
3. I visited many countries in the past.
4. I visited many countries in the past years.

Which sentence is grammatically correct and more idiomatic?
I am not a grammarian but 1 and 3 would both sound natural to a native British speaker if you omitted "in the past". To me, by using it, you suggest that there was a period of time when you travelled and it is now over.

I am not a grammarian but 1 and 3 would both sound natural to a native British speaker if you omitted "in the past". To me, by using it, you suggest that there was a period of time when you travelled and it is now over.
Because I read a sentence, and it says:

The major sporting events we have held in the past including the World Games, have proven that we have the capability to hold such events.

All four are grammatically correct but 2 and 4 are as unnatural in AmE as they are in BrE.

All four are grammatically correct but 2 and 4 are as unnatural in AmE as they are in BrE.
About 2, I read sentences such as:

That's why they have accomplished so little in the past few years.

Many workers have taken to the arts in the past few years.

(I have been taught that when using in/for/during/over the past/last years/days/months, I have to use present perfect tense)

That's why they have accomplished so little in the past few years.

Many workers have taken to the arts in the past few years.
You need the 'few' to sound natural.

You need the 'few' to sound natural.
So in my 2 and 4, I have to add "few" to make it idiomatic. Am I right?

hi, 5jj,

I read this sentence in an article, and it say:

For the last year, Coughlin has been consorting with the enemies--Sprint Corp., T-Mobile US Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc.--to get the message across.

In this sentence, why doesn't the author add the number or few?

Source: by CheryI Hall/ 2013, The Dallas Morning News.

**it says

I assume it's one year.

Is this sentence grammatically correct? "In the past" could also be used with perfect tense?

Here is another question:

I visited many countries in the past year.

Is this sentence grammatically correct? "In the past" could also be used with perfect tense?

I don't know why not.

I don't know why not.
(I have been taught that when using in/for/during/over the past/last years/days/months, I have to use present perfect tense)

And since " in the past year" means "for the past 12 months", I doubt whether it is correct to use "visited" instead of "have visited."

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back