Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "in moments of stress", in moment of stress", "in the moments of stress", or "in the moment of stress"
Does "comfortable for me" sound natural?

"In moments of stress,/in the moment of stress, I try to think about things that are pleasant or comfortable for me, like a favourite author."

And no, "comfortable" doesn't work there. You could use "comforting".

Could you tell me if the rest is correct?

"In moments of stress, I try to think about things that are pleasant or comfortable for me, like a favourite author."

Try:

In moments of stress I think about things that make me feel good.

The word "try" suggests an effort is involved. I hope you don't have to work too hard to think about something. (A different sense of "try" is used when I suggest a sentence.)

Could you tell me if the rest is correct?

"In moments of stress, I try to think about things that are pleasant or comfortable for me, like a favourite author."
Given that I had, in the previous response, said that you should use "comforting", why did you use "comfortable" again in the next post (even quoting my response about using "comforting")?

Given that I had, in the previous response, said that you should use "comforting", why did you use "comfortable" again in the next post (even quoting my response about using "comforting")?
I copied and pasted the whole sentence. I just forgot to remove "comfortable".

This is what I meant. "In moments of stress, I try to think about things that are pleasant or comforting for me, like a favourite author."

You can use "try" and "think" in the same sentence. For example: "I tried to think of his name, but I couldn't."

I wouldn't advise somebody, however, to try to think. I especially wouldn't tell him to try to think in order to relieve stress. Instead, perhaps: "Think pleasant thoughts just like you did before. You know that always helps."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back