Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

Can you tell me if the expression "in the last few years" must always go with a perfect tense?

Thank you for you help :)

Hello,

Can you tell me if the expression "in the last few years" must always go with a perfect tense?

Thank you for you help :)
It's preferable, IMO.

Thank you for your answer but what does "IMO" mean?

In my opinion.

IMHO is also frequently encountered; it means 'in my humble opinion'.

Rover

So you think it would be wrong to say:
Being a construction worker will be hard for me in the last few years because I might be too old for that work then.

But it would be correct to say:
Being a construction worker has been hard for me in the last few years because I am too old for that work.

:?:

Cheers!

Hi,

As it has been said, it is preferable to use "in the past few years" with a perfect tense. As far as your sentences are concerned, I'd say that first of all they do not have the same meaning at all. One refers to something which is going to happen while the other one refers to something which happened already.
Then yes, the second one is correct (even though I'd say "was too old" instead of "am too old"), when the first one is not, IMO.

Dood.
-----
Not a teacher's opinion

As far as your sentences are concerned, I'd say that first of all they do not have the same meaning at all. One refers to something which is going to happen while the other one refers to something which happened already.

I'm fully aware of that. ;-)
Ok, then I won't use "in the last few years" with other tenses than the perfect tense.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back