In reported speech does the vb come change into the vb go?

• Thread starter allthewayanime
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,763
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

allthewayanime

Dear teachers,

I would like a confirmation about this. I've read in a grammar book that in the reported speech we should change the vb come to the vb go, only when there's some word given after 'come' that shows nearness.I haven't understood it yet, so could someone give some further information about this?

Dear teachers,

I would like a confirmation about this. I've read in a grammar book that in the reported speech we should change the vb come to the vb go, only when there's some word given after 'come' that shows nearness.I haven't understood it yet, so could someone give some further information about this?

I don't really understand what you meant by "only when there's some word given after 'come' that shows nearness". Do you mean actual proximity?

To be honest, I had never even considered the come/go question, but it could well be right. Initially I thought that reported speech would stick closely to the original words, but the first example I thought of was this:

He said "Would you like to come to the cinema with me?"
He asked me if I would like to go to the cinema with him.

I think the reason for the change in this particular context is that the first sentence is from his point of view, in which case "come" would be appropriate for him, but in the reported speech it is from your point of view, where "go" would fit better.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you meant by "only when there's some word given after 'come' that shows nearness". Do you mean actual proximity?

Yes, nearness and thank you for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back