Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
'In the last few overs" or "for the last few overs", which one should I use? Besides this which tense should I use here?

- I have been watching this test match for quite a long time. But in/for the last few overs there has been/was no run.

Between 'In the last few overs" and "for the last few overs", which one should I use? Besides that, which tense should I use here?

- I have been watching these test matches for quite a long time. But for the last few years there has been no run.
Or: there have been no runs.

Or: there hasn't been a run.

Or: there haven't been any runs.

Use in. You'd use for if you were talking about the last few overs as a time duration, which you're not—you're talking about the number of balls.

Let me make that a bit clearer with two contrasting examples:

He's taken two wickets in the last three overs. [3 overs = 18 balls]
She's been talking on the phone for the last three overs. [3 overs = 30 minutes]

Can you see the difference?

Sorry, Charlie, that's not correct for a cricket match. An over is a series of six deliveries, after which the bowling switches to the other end.

I have been watching this test match for quite a long time, and in the last few overs there has been no run/no runs have been scored.

Last edited:
... in the last few overs, there have been no runs.

I think Charlie and I would need to have cricket explained to us.
:)

Have you got a couple of hours?

You could bring on a bowler or a nightwatchman for the last few overs.

I think Charlie and I would need to have cricket explained to us.
:)

It's a game played with balls, flat bats, brilliant white outfits, tea, and top hats. That's really all you need to know.

You also get a nice lunch halfway through. Moustaches are optional.

Another plus: When 'fielding', play can be so inactive that you can have time to light up a pipe while you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back