Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use either "at" or "in" in my sentence and can I use the plural of "courts"? This is said by a lawyer. If I use the singular form should it be "at/in court"?

1. My job is speaking in courts.

2. My job involves speaking in courts.

I'd expect a lawyer to say "My job involves appearing in court".

I changed "job is" to "job involves" because a litigating lawyer doesn't only appear in court. There are various other things he needs to do.

Edit: You could say "My job is appearing..." in a specific context but as a general description of your work, I wouldn't use "is".

I'd use "in court" if I were a defendant or a lawyer and actually referring to a court case (or more than one).

My brother's being done for burglary. He's in court tomorrow.
My sister's a barrister. She's in court five days a week.

I'd use "at court" for people doing something in that building but whose job doesn't involve the law (on the right or wrong side of it!)

I'm a translator at court.
My sister's a court usher. She's at court right now but she should be back around 4.

I'm surprised a lawyer uses simply speaking rather than something like representing clients in court.

I managed to miss the fact that the speaker is a lawyer. That changes things completely! As Tdol suggests, no lawyer would describe their job as "speaking in court". Lawyers do a lot more than that.

I managed to miss the fact that the speaker is a lawyer. That changes things completely! As Tdol suggests, no lawyer would describe their job as "speaking in court". Lawyers do a lot more than that.
If I am going to use "give a speech" in my original sentence, should I use the singular or the plural form of "speech?"

"My job is giving a speech/giving speeches in court."

A lawyer's job is representing clients' interests or presenting cases, not giving speeches.

Lawyers don't give speeches at all. I suggest you forget that idea. They speak at length at the start and end of major court cases. When they do this, it's called "opening argument" and "closing argument".

In my opening argument, I will present evidence to show that ... ✅
In my closing argument, I will remind you of the overwhelming evidence that ... ✅
In my opening/closing speech, I will ... ❌

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back