in charge v. responsible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the definition of 'Who's in charge?' in that dictionary.

They're far from being identical.

This is not a useful area of inquiry. There are very few cases where two words are exactly identical in every case. You should find a different way to ask about the differences between words which can sometimes be synonyms.

This is not a useful area of inquiry. There are very few cases where two words are exactly identical in every case. You should find a different way to ask about the differences between words which can sometimes be synonyms.

But I asked about if the sentences are identical, not for only words in charge and responsible.

In that case, the answer's 'no'.

Are these identical? Would you please explain if there might be any difference?

1. Who is responsible here?
2. Who is in charge here?

These two questions could possibly have the same effect (or the same use), given a certain context. For example, you want to be directed to the right person to talk to about some matter.

Similarly, they could have very different uses. As always, it depends on context. The person in charge of something is often, but not necessarily, the person who is ultimately responsible for that thing.

These two questions could possibly have the same effect (or the same use), given a certain context. For example, you want to be directed to the right person to talk to about some matter..

I cannot see an explanation or implication concerning the difference. Would you please explain in a more clear way?

I cannot see an explanation or implication concerning the difference. Would you please explain in a more clear way?

They could be the same and they could be different. It depends on the context.

If you are in charge of something, you are the person who controls/directs/governs that thing. Maybe there are several people working together on a task and they want to split the work into parts X, Y and Z. He's in charge of X, she's in charge of Y, and I'm in charge of Z.

If you are responsible for something, you are the person who is answerable. For example, if there's a problem, you receive the blame, and if there's success, you receive the praise.

Often, the person who is in charge is also the person who is responsible, but that is not always the case. Therefore, they are not identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back