Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which one of the following sentences is more idiomatic in the sense of 'in writing'?

1) Put it in black and white.

2) Put it down in black and white.

They mean the same thing.

Nobody said there was anything wrong with #2. The OP asked which to use, and Rover stated his preference for #1. "De gustibus non disputandum est" is a very ancient saying. It means "There should be no debate about tastes".

Last edited by a moderator:
"Put it in writing" is pretty much a set phrase so "put it down in writing" would sound odd to me. However, and I really can't explain why, I prefer "Put it down in black and white" over "Put it in black and white".

"Put it in writing" is pretty much a set phrase so "put it down in writing" would sound odd to me. However, and I really can't explain why, I prefer "Put it down in black and white" over "Put it in black and white".

emsr2d2
You seem to contradict yourself. Your first sentence says you prefer #1 while your second sentence says you prefer #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's not what I said. I have used two different phrases. One uses "in writing" and the other uses "in black and white". As I said, I can't explain why but I prefer "put it" with the first but "put it down" with the second.

There's no contradiction.

emdr2d2 prefers 'Put it in writing' and 'Put it down in black and white'.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of personal choice.

I think it may be because:
put it = express it
down implies writing

So,
"put it down in black and white" = write it in black and white --- works
"put it in writing" = express it in written form --- works
"put it down in writing" = write it in written form ---- involves redundancy

Having said that, I think both are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back