Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
What is the meaning of the underlined expression? Is it about more recent issue (publication)?
"The "Chirurgical Journal," of Leipsic — a periodical, of high authority and merit, which some American bookseller would do well to translate and republish — records, in a late number, a very distressing event of the character in question."

And what do you think about "character"? Does it mean "matter" or "topic here"? http://poestories.com/read/premature

It means "in a recent issue" but is not current usage. The usage is 19th century. This is confirmed by "Chirurgical", "surgical" in modern usage, and "Leipsic" nowadays spelt "Leipzig."

The "character" could have multiple modern meanings. I suspect that "type" is the most likely.

Character could mean person.

I got the "late number" meant recent issue, but I hadn't caught on to "chirurgical" and "Leipsic" being terms no longer in use. Learn something everyday, I suppose.

Character could mean person.
If character means person than why nothing is said about the supposed person before it? I think that when talking about something in question, we naturally assume that we already mentioned it previously. :-?

It could possibly mean "another event of the character (type) just mentioned."
He has used 'character in this way several times before: "I might refer at once, if necessary to a hundred well authenticated instances. One of very remarkable character, "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back