English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In 1970 I had been married ten years.

This is just a sample sentence from a book named "Tips on Learning English for Chinese" by Lu Shuxiang. The English name of the book is my translation.

I’d like to know if this sentence is correct. I mean if we can use a past time like “in 1970” with the past perfect tense.

We can. Being married for ten years is not a single action; it is a state that has duration up to a time point.

Can I rewrite the sentence like this?

Up to 1970 I had been married ten years.

You need a comma after "In 1970". You would have needed one after "Up to 1970" too, if that sentence had been grammatical, which it isn't.

Note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you want us to consider. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of your post.

The time phrase In 1970 expresses the final point in time of the period. The sentence is saying that at that point in time, ten years had passed.

Can I rewrite the sentence like this?

Up to 1970 I had been married ten years.
Are you talking about divorce or death? If not, it's a highly unnatural sentence, and probably could be better phrased in those circumstances.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back