Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. By 'impractical academic theories', I mean theories that cannot help students get a good job. Is the bold term correct?

No one wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars learning impractical academic theories but end up working at an Amazon warehouse after graduation.

No. "Impractical" doesn't mean that.

Thanks, I removed 'impractical'. But I think 'a ton of' is too informal? Is there a formal way to say it?

No one wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars learning a ton of academic theories but end up working at an Amazon warehouse after graduation.

There are two problems. The first is that the word impractical isn't particularly about jobs. It might fit there, but you're misunderstanding it.

The second is that "impractical academic theories" is redundant in this context. You can use either adjective, but there's no need to use both.

Similarly, since you said "end up," you don't need to say "after graduation." It's understood.

Try this:

No one wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars learning
academic theories just to end up working at an Amazon warehouse.

(Notice the use of "just to.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back