Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I asked my friend David to have lunch together tomorrow but some local media today said that the imported prawns were detected with coronavirus. The place where the prawns stored was very close to where I live so I don't want to meet up with David until next week. I said to him "I'm sorry I have to cancel the lunch tomorrow because the virus situation has changed".

Is what I said natural? Without the prawn detection, my city hasn't seen the virus reported for more than 100 days but now the situation of the virus has changed.

Hi.

I asked my friend David to have lunch [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE] with me tomorrow but some local media today said that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] some imported prawns [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] had been [STRIKE]detected[/STRIKE] found to be infected with coronavirus. The place where the prawns were stored was very close to where I live so I don't want to meet up with David until next week. I said to him "I'm sorry I have to cancel [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] our lunch tomorrow because the virus situation has changed".

Is what I said natural? [STRIKE]Without[/STRIKE] Before the prawns [STRIKE]detection[/STRIKE] were found, my city [STRIKE]hasn't[/STRIKE] hadn't [STRIKE]seen[/STRIKE] had a case of the virus [STRIKE]reported[/STRIKE] for more than 100 days but now the situation [STRIKE]of the virus[/STRIKE] has changed.

See above.

There's no way that virus on raw food could remain infectious after the food is cooked.

Before the prawns were found ??, my city hadn't seen had a case of the virus reported for more than 100 days but now the situation has changed.

found to be infected with virus?

The prawns would probably be carrying the virus or contaminated rather than infected, which implies they were sick.

What's next, social distancing for prawns?

I just want to see them wearing masks.

"I'm sorry I have to cancel the lunch tomorrow because the virus situation has changed".

Using 'the lunch' instead of 'our lunch' makes it sound like it was some sort of big event for many people, versus just the two of you.

I'd get rid of the first the and punctuate the sentence:

"I'm sorry. I have to cancel [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] lunch tomorrow because the virus situation has changed".

Or:

"I'm sorry I have to cancel [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] lunch tomorrow, but the virus situation has changed".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back