Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Two people arguing about a whether Adam and Eve were real.
A: How do you know what their names were.
B: Forget their names. I'm not even arguing that. Tell me if there had to be a male and a female.

I usually said argue about/over something. Do we also say 'argue something'?

Do we also say 'argue something'?
Not usually. You could say "They argued the point", but not "They argued it".
I'm not even arguing that.
I'm not talking about that.
A: How do you know what their names were.
This needs a question mark at the end. This is much more important than the things you ask about. It's a basic thing. (Personally I believe learners have no business asking about things like "argue something" if they can't use correct punctuation. Please correct that first.)

Last edited:
Say: "I usually say ...."

Not usually. You could say "They argued the point", but not "They argued it".

I'm not talking about that.

This needs a question mark at the end. This is much more important than the things you ask about. It's a basic thing. (Personally I believe learners have no business asking about things like "argue something" if they can't use correct punctuation. Please correct that first.)
Sorry for the typo. It wasn't me who said that.
Interestingly, it was a native speaker who said it. And it wasn't the first time I heard it either. Is it one of those things that we say in casual conversations but isn't grammatically correct?

I can imagine "I'm not arguing that" being used. It doesn't seem to fit in that particular line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back