Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Let's say there is a dialog like this.

A: I'm gonna ask you something tomorrow.

B: Ok. Call me tomorrow.

I am wondering if there is something else to say this in a more polite way and that conveys the same meaning? I feel like it is somewhat rude when you say in this way.

For example, in my native language, in order to seem more polite, we use the present tense of the verb in these situations (still refers to future) instead of using the imperative mood.

I am wondering if there is something like this in english as well?

Last edited:
No, it isn't rude.

B: Ok. Call me tomorrow.

I am wondering if there is something else to say this in a more polite way and that conveys the same meaning?

NOT A TEACHER

A: I plan to ask you something tomorrow.

B: OK. I really look forward to your call.

B: OK/Okay. Call me tomorrow.

I am wondering if there is [STRIKE]something else[/STRIKE] another way to say this in a more polite way [STRIKE]and that[/STRIKE] but that conveys the same meaning? I feel [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] it is somewhat rude when you say it in this way.

For example, in my native language, in order to seem more polite, we use the present tense of the verb in these situations (still refers to future) instead of using the imperative mood.

I am wondering if there is something like this in English as well.

Note my corrections above. Are you saying that in your native language the personal pronoun would be used before the verb? So it would be "You call me tomorrow". That's the only difference it would make to the original sentence. "Call" is already identical in form to the second person singular present tense of the verb "call".

Last edited:

B: Okay. Call me tomorrow.

I am wondering if there is something else to say this in a more polite way and that conveys the same meaning?

I feel like it is somewhat rude when you say in this way.

It's not rude at all. Rude would be: "Absolutely not! No way! Forget it! Leave me alone!"

I am wondering if there is something like this in English as well. That was not a question.
Corrections above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back