I'm glad you didn't say horse's mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's referring to the expression "straight from the horse's mouth". It means "from the highest authority". The speaker is saying, in jest, that he'd rather not be compared to a horse.

He's referring to the expression "straight from the horse's mouth". It means "from the highest authority". The speaker is saying, in jest, that he'd rather not be compared to a horse.

Honestly, this is the first time I don't understand an English expression! Could you kindly elaborate?

Horse's mouth in their conversation means highest authority?

I understand the meaning of the idiom itself perfectly. But I don't understand why the gentleman in the video used it. They were not talking about hearing from someone.

I understand the meaning of the idiom itself perfectly. But I don't understand why the gentleman in the video used it. They were not talking about hearing from someone.
He's the authority the interviewer would be referring if she used that expression.

He's the authority the interviewer would be referring if she used that expression.

I see. He is saying I'm glad you did not say horse's mouth and it means "I'm glad you did not say I'm the highest authority at the university"?

I see. He is saying I'm glad you did not say "horse's mouth" and it means "I'm glad you did not say I'm the highest authority at the university"?
No! He's modestly deflecting the interviewer's flattery by pointing out that some people might think he has a horse-like face.

Always mark quoted words or phrases with quotation marks or italics.

No! He's modestly deflecting the interviewer's flattery by pointing out that some people might think he has a horse-like face.

Always mark quoted words or phrases with quotation marks or italics.

Horse-like face? What does that have to do with anything? Is he making fun of his own physical appearance? Or he is saying some people might think I'm the horse's mouth meaning I have the highest degree of knowledge and information?

Horse-like face? What does that have to do with anything? Is he making fun of his own physical appearance? Or he is saying some people might think I'm the horse's mouth meaning I have the highest degree of knowledge and information?
He comes from a culture where self-deprecating humor is valued. He is, I'm sure, referring only to his appearance.

By 'highest authority', it doesn't necessarily mean the most factually or intellectually knowledgeable, just the person who has firsthand knowledge of what was actually said - in other words, the original source. Don't confuse 'authority' with 'expert' in this context. The fact that he actually is an expert and has extensive knowledge on editing scientific journals just happens to be the reason they're interviewing him directly.

Read this definition of the same idiom, which explains it slightly differently.

Since they're asking Dr. Efron for advice directly (instead of quoting what someone else may have said he said), he's the original source. It would be a natural opportunity to say they're getting the information 'straight from the horse's mouth'. However, she doesn't use that exact expression, so he makes a self-deprecating joke about being thankful she didn't call him a horse.

There's some word-play going on with the expression in question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back