[Grammar] I'm aways using wrong grammars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
i always confuse of the use of in, on, to, etc. can you give me tips so that i would be confident to speak in english fluently with no doubts?

I always confuse [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] the use of "in", "on", "to", etc. Can you give me tips so that I would be confident to speak in English fluently with no doubts?
Hello shashaa, and welcome to the forum. :)
Although there are some basic rules for it, the use of prepositions in English is often idiomatic, and it can be difficult to master. Practice is the answer. The more you practice (especially reading and listening), the easier you'll find the use of prepositions.

If you want a decent grammar, I would always recommend Michael Swan's Practical English Usage, which combines both grammar and usage. Prepositions are, however, a very complex area in English because we use them in so many ways- not just location, but also things like phrasal verbs.

Learn the basics first.

Focus on the most common and literal uses of prepositions of space, and learn them as part of preposition phrases, like on the floor, on the wall, under the chair, next to the bed, etcetera.

There are plenty of online and printed multi-level resources that can help you do this.

Note that your title should have been "I'm always using/I always use the wrong grammar".

Michael Swan's Practical English Usage
May I ask which edition? I think 4th is the latest edition!

Note that your title should have been "I'm always using/I always use the wrong grammar".

What about 'I always make grammatical mistakes'? 'I always use the wrong grammar' seems/sounds a purposeful act to make grammatical mistakes.

What about 'I always make grammatical mistakes'?:up: 'I always use the wrong grammar' seems/sounds a purposeful act to make grammatical mistakes.
Your proposal is good.

"Always" means "100% of the time one makes mistakes".
Are you sure? ;-)

"Always" means "100% of the time one makes mistakes".
Are you sure? ;-)

I always make grammatical mistakes, but I hope, one day, I will improve my English language and then write/speak proper English.

May I ask which edition? I think 4th is the latest edition!

It is. The 2nd greatly expanded the book, so anything after the 2nd is worth having if you're buying second-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back